When Should You Terminate Collision Coverage?

Collision coverage is a type of car insurance policy that will repair damage to your vehicle when something collides with it. Dealers who rent cars and trucks typically require full-coverage auto insurance, including collision coverage and comprehensive coverage. If you have a loan, you generally need to insure your car. If you don't take out insurance, the loan company can buy it and charge you. It generally costs less if you get your own collision and comprehensive coverage.

While there is no real type of policy known as “full-coverage auto insurance,” the term generally refers to an auto insurance policy that includes liability, collision, and comprehensive insurance. This coverage covers the difference between the fair market value of your new car and the balance due on your loan or lease.Collision insurance is a type of car insurance coverage that pays for the repair or replacement of your car if you're involved in an accident, regardless of who was at fault. While collision insurance and comprehensive insurance are often taken out together, they are separate types of coverage. The cost of collision insurance varies depending on your driving record, the value of your car and the amount of the deductible. However, even so, you shouldn't abandon collision insurance if you can't pay out of pocket to repair or replace your car after an accident because of you.

If you can't afford to have your car repaired or replaced out of pocket after an accident, you should continue to have collision insurance. Your underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage can protect the difference between the other driver's liability coverage and the limits of your UIM coverage. Once your collision and comprehensive bill for approximately five years approaches the potential insurance payment, it probably isn't worth keeping the additional coverage. And if you're a new or new car owner and have the financial resources to buy a new car if needed, you might not want to worry about collision and all-risk coverage. Medical payment coverage covers limited medical costs for you or for others who ride in your car when you have an accident. State law never requires collision insurance, but dealers and banks often require it for leased or financed cars.

Don't hesitate to contact the insurance company directly to ensure that your agent or broker has requested the coverage you wanted.

Collision coverage

pays for damage to your car caused by physical contact with another vehicle or object, such as a deer, a tree, a rock, a railing, a building, or a person. The only car insurance required by law is liability coverage, for damage to someone or something that you accidentally collide with your car. The general rule used to be that car owners should cancel collision and all-risk insurance when the car was five or six years old, or when the mileage reached the 100,000 mark. However, this rule is no longer applicable as there are many factors that should be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to terminate this type of coverage. When deciding whether or not to terminate collision coverage on your vehicle, it is important to consider factors such as the age and condition of your vehicle, how much money you have saved up in case of an accident, how much money it would cost to repair or replace your vehicle in case of an accident, and how much money it would cost to purchase additional coverage. It is also important to consider how much money you would be able to save by terminating this type of coverage. If you are able to save enough money by terminating this type of coverage then it may be worth doing so.

However, if you are unable to save enough money then it may be best to keep this type of coverage in order to protect yourself financially in case of an accident.

Carl Somilleda
Carl Somilleda

General beer ninja. Hardcore social media guru. Devoted beer guru. Hardcore beer geek. Hipster-friendly web aficionado.