Do I Need Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Florida?

Yes, you need coverage for uninsured drivers, even if you have comprehensive and collision coverage. Collision insurance will pay for the repair of your vehicle if you are hit by an uninsured driver, but it won't cover any of your medical expenses and comprehensive insurance won't cover your expenses after an accident. Florida law requires a minimum standard of car insurance, but Florida doesn't require drivers to have liability insurance. Although Florida requires some coverage, it ranks second in the country in terms of the highest proportion of uninsured drivers, representing about 24%.You are not legally obligated to purchase coverage for uninsured drivers in Florida.

However, insurance companies are required to offer it. Generally, if you are injured in an accident caused by an insured motorist, the other driver's liability insurance would pay the cost of your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering, up to the limits of liability that he paid in his insurance policy.

Coverage and

other features vary between insurers, vary by state, and are not available in all states. If you have any questions about UM coverage or if you were injured in a car accident in Florida, you should talk to an experienced Florida car accident lawyer as soon as possible. If you buy UM or UIM coverage, you may be able to take advantage of what's known as “accumulation.” This coverage can make the difference between financial security and financial ruin after an accident.

Even if you have liability coverage, in addition to collision and comprehensive coverage, you may still need coverage for uninsured drivers if your state requires it. You can't control other drivers on the road, so it's best to take advantage of what you can control: your insurance coverage. If you have UM coverage, you're also protected against hit and run accidents, and a lawyer who specializes in car accidents can file a claim against your own insurance company, regardless of whether they ever find the other driver and whether they had insurance or not. Both uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) and collision coverage can cover damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured driver. Since UM coverage protects you after an accident with an uninsured driver, the main advantage of getting this type of coverage is that you'll have the money you need regardless of the other driver. It provides you with protection in the event that you are injured in a car accident caused by another person who is uninsured or underinsured.

In the case of being injured by an uninsured driver, these liability coverages simply don't exist. It's impossible to know who has enough liability coverage to protect you if you cause an accident or if you even have insurance. However, collision coverage applies to damage resulting from a collision with a vehicle or object, regardless of fault. By contrast, collision coverage applies to any damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another vehicle or object, regardless of fault.

Carl Somilleda
Carl Somilleda

General beer ninja. Hardcore social media guru. Devoted beer guru. Hardcore beer geek. Hipster-friendly web aficionado.